Thursday, May 7, 2015

College

Does anyone else think that society is really weird about college?

Like, if an acquaintance ran into me and asked what I've been up to, and I said, "Oh, I've quit work, and instead I'm spending several hours a day - and over 1,000 shekels a month - learning to juggle," they'd be like, "Wow. Ali's turned into a juggling-obsessed loon. I hope it's not catching."

But if I said, "Oh, I've quit work, and instead I'm spending several hours a day - and over 1,000 shekels a month - taking classes at university, where I learn things like how to calculate the value of cosine at inconvenient points without a calculator (in a mere 20 minutes)" people are like "Oh! How nice!" In fact, the only possible criticism seems to be "why are you only doing this now?"

Of course, there's a difference between those two situations. Juggling can get you jobs entertaining children at birthday parties.

2 comments:

  1. haha seriously! at this point in my university career im thinking maybe i should have gone full-time with the hula hooping thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Education is something no one can take away from you. So go for it and good luck with your exams!

    ReplyDelete